How do you know it is a pine tree?
- The tree is a conifer, an “evergreen”.
- The leaves look like needles.
- The needles are at least 1 inch long.
Pine trees typically have needles that come in bundles of 2,3, or 5. The number of needles per bundle can be very helpful in figuring out what kind of pine tree you’re looking at.
- Needles 1-3 inches long: Virginia Pine, Pinus virginiana
- Needles 3-5 inches long: Shortleaf Pine, Pinus echinata (bundles sometimes have three needles.)
3 NEEDLES PER BUNDLE
- Needles 3-5 inches long: Eastern White Pine, Pinus strobus
Jackson-Via art blog also covering the explorations: http://jvartlady.wordpress.com/2011/01/06/great-connections/