|Purple Finch (Haemorhous purpureus purpureus)|
Ezra was the sole member of the Bird Team on the second effort of the week. The first half of the day was chilly and windy, and Ezra covered a wide variety of habitats from upland ridgelines to deep ravines.
US-Virginia-Charlottesville-38.0x-78.5, Albemarle, Virginia, US
Jan 31, 2017 8:05 AM – 12:05 PM
- Black Vulture (Coragyps atratus) 1
- Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) 3
- Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 6
- Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius) 2 One up by the barrens, one on the entrance ridge.
- Downy Woodpecker (Eastern) (Picoides pubescens pubescens/medianus) 2
- Hairy Woodpecker (Eastern) (Picoides villosus [villosus Group]) 2
- Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus) 3
- Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 2
- American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 3
- Common Raven (Corvus corax) 2
- Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis) 10
- Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 7
- White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 6
- Brown Creeper (Certhia americana) 1 In a mixed flock foraging through the valley with the stream.
- Winter Wren (Troglodytes hiemalis) 1 In the brush along the stream. Near the brown creeper.
- Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 3
- Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) 3
- Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis) 2
- Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 2
- Purple Finch (Eastern) (Haemorhous purpureus purpureus) 2 Perched in the top of a tulip popular in the first valley